Introduction to Texas City, Texas
Texas City, Texas, in Galveston county, is 8 miles NW of Galveston, Texas (center to center) and 38 miles SE of Houston, Texas. The city is conveniently located inside the Galveston - Texas City metropolitan area.
Texas City History
Three brothers, Jacob, Benjamin, and Henry Meyers, from Duluth, Minnesota, were the pioneers credited for the establishment of the Texas City Improvement Company. They were on a duck-hunting trip in the marshlands in 1891 when they decided that the area, near a community called Shoal Point, had great potential to be a major port. The three brothers were joined by other Duluth shippers and together they bought 10,000 acres from the Galveston Bay frontage. The land included Shoal Point. They named the area Texas City. The Texas City Improvement Company filed a townsite plat in May, 1893, and a post office was set up in the area.
Texas City Higher Education
College of the Mainland is the local institution for higher education. University of Houston, Alvin Community College, and San Jacinto College are the other similar institutions in the neighborhood.
Texas City Properties
Any home sales data appearing on this page is obtained from public record sources (or estimates, for non-disclosure states) as provided by OnBoard, LLC and does not comprise an appraisal or a Comparative Market Analysis (CMA). This information should not be used to replace a professional appraisal nor to determine the price of a particular property.